Monday, January 3, 2011

My study spot (favorite coffee shop)

This is the sunlight streaming in to the Starbuck's where I have spent MANY hours studying, since beginning my Master's degree.  I love the morning sun and the "regulars" who pass through (I have made many acquaintances and friends along the way) and, of course, I have been so regular myself that they all "know my name."  (But my drink is boring: just dark roast coffee--no fancy lattes or capuccinos!)

(To those of you with photographic skills: how could I have taken this picture better to minimize the glare of the sunlight? I am still using Auto setting on my camera.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Actually, I think the sunlight is perfect. You got the big picture of your view of the world, and the sunlight adds warmth without being so bright that it is hard to look at. The angle is really nice too, instead of straight on. It would be fun to do some closer ups as well to really take advantage of your light with back to the window and light shining on your cup and study materials. (Getting turned so that you don't cast a shadow over it is the challenge there.) I notice that a lot of photographers these days are actually shooting into the light directly to capture "sun flare". I have a few fun photos like that, but a better camera would help a lot. All that to say, light is in! Embrace it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Tracy, I think the light adds warmth and is not so bright as to be distracting. You have a really good contrast from the inside to outside and left and right of the photo. Looks like a great place to study.

    Changing positions might have helped ~ perhaps moving a little to the right or up a little would've made the sun be blocked by the wall or filtered by the shade a bit more. You could increase the shutter speed or choose a larger aperture (both let less light in) but with each step, the darker areas would get darker.

    ReplyDelete